What makes an RV Rental listing “Good”? Why do some RV owners have more inquiries and rent more than others? What makes renters click on your listing vs. the competition?
This post profiles what good looks like, in the world of private RV rentals by owner.
I’m going to focus on “Delivered RV Rentals” by owner, using one example from RVPlusYou. Why? Because i’m completely biased and I know it well. It’s an RV Vacation Rental, not a “car rental”. The RV owners on RVPlusYou deliver and set up their RV at your destination.
Other RV rental by owner websites include Outdoorsy and RVShare. These are great websites doing a great job, but these sites are “Vehicle Rental” sites, mostly motorhomes. Owners listed on those sites simply hand over the keys and say, “have fun”. It’s more about the RV, not the service.
The question comes up; “why do some RV owners rent more than others?” The answer is nuanced because it’s not just the listing, or the quality, or the price, or the service. It’s all of these things.
If you want to win bookings over your competition on websites like RVPlusYou, RVShare, or Outdoorsy, give this a read and think about where you can do better. The top 6 categories are as follows:
- Photos of RV
- Title and Description in listing
- Host photos and profile
- Service and responsiveness
- Pricing of RV
- Quality of RV
Profile of a “Good” RV Rental listing
Listing Details: “Pismo Coast Village 38ft RV Rental”, by Danelle.
Click on the link above to see this delivered RV rental listing. Below is our analysis of one of the top 5 rental listings on RVPlusYou. Let’s go down the list:
- Photos? – Check. Not great photos but it gets the job done. Photos are a must and this profile gets a B-. It shows the renter what they will get but does leave room for improvement. Without a doubt, she would get more ‘clicks’ if she had photos with: Better light/quality, landscape pictures for more visibility, set RV in location with ocean background, not street. Paint the picture for the novice RV camper.
- Title and Description? – Check. A+. Renters know exactly what this comes with and details are in the description. Amenities are listed and her pricing is clear.
- Host photo and profile – Check/Check. A+. Great pic of Danelle and her daughters. Sweet family description. Renters will know exactly who they are renting from. This host profile oozes TRUST!!! This is so important in a private rental transaction. It’s a big reason why she’s on top.
- Service and Responsiveness – Check/Check. A+. I happen to have inside information on this. You can see it from her reviews but Danelle is also the first to respond to all rental inquiries. She asks questions of the renter to qualify and make feel welcome. She closes by inviting them to book. Perfectly handled because she cares.
- Pricing of RV – Check. A+. Why does Danelle get an A+ here? She’s priced it low to start, gained renters and reviews, then moved the price up based on value: Service and quality = Fair price for both Owner and Renters, who return again and again.
- Quality of RV – Check. She gets a solid A. Why not A+? Well, this is an older coach, but high quality and well cared for. The photos show off the quality which move renters past the “quality question”. Renter knows that this is a luxury RV and they’re willing to pay the extra money.
Whether you’re in this business part time or full, pay attention to the details. Ask yourself these questions:
- If your competition responds in 5 minutes to an inquiry, vs. your 5 hour response, who will win that RV rental booking?
- Is your host profile a recent photo of you and your family, or a fuzzy photo of your RV listed sideways?
- Is your host profile blank, or does it reveal exactly who you are, giving renters peace of mind?
- Are your photos crisp, clear, full of light with the outdoors in the background? Or is your lead photo an old dingy picture of a dirty RV on a side lot?
- Does your RV rental listing explain exactly what the renter can expect from you and your RV? Or, does it leave details out forcing your prospect to find a different listing with more pertinent information?
Spend some time on your RV rental advertisements and you’ll have much more success, and fun!